13-year-old Annabelle Tickle nearly choked to death after taking a sip of her Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from a McDonald’s drive through. The teenager ended up slurping a sharp piece of wood that became stuck in her throat. The young girl began to gag and felt the taste of her blood in her mouth after sipping the McDonald’s drink. She had to stick her fingers down her throat to remove the inch long piece of wood from her mouth, while her father pulled the car over to the side of the road.

Annabelle stated that the whole ordeal was a terrifying experience for her. She doesn’t think she’ll be able to drink the Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from McDonald’s anymore, which was one of her favorites. “It was quite frightening and I had to put my fingers down my throat and pull it out, even though it made me gag. It turned out to be a shard of wood, about an inch long, which is probably why it got stuck sideways. The frozen strawberry lemonade was my favorite drink, but obviously I couldn’t finish it and it’s put me off now.”

Afterwards, Annabelle’s father, Neill Tickle, drove to the nearest McDonald’s branch to report the incident. He said that he hopes this will shed light on what needs to be done regarding safety procedures so that this doesn’t happen to anyone else in the future. “They were apologetic and said we would need to contact head office, which we have. We’ve got a letter back and been asked to send the shard off to them so they can investigate. We think it could be a splinter of wood from the stirrer they use for the drinks. This isn’t about claiming compensation but drawing attention to perhaps a procedure they use which needs to be changed so that it doesn’t happen to anyone else in the future.”

Topics: news , McDonalds